Skip to content Book an appointment
Jaume Vila Castro
Specialist at Miranza Passeig Mallorca
- Member of the Spanish Glaucoma Society.
- Chairman of the Ophthalmology Section of the “Acadèmia Mèdica Balear” from January 2004 to December 2011.
- Board Member for the Balearic Islands of the “Societat Catalana d’Oftalmología” (Belonging to the “Acadèmia de Ciències Mèdiques de Catalunya i Balears”) from December 2004 to December 2011.
- Member of the Evaluation Committee for the Incorporation of Technology of the Balearic Islands (CVIT. Conselleria de Salut. Govern de les Illes Balears) since 2018.
- Member of the Corporate Healthcare Database Committee of Servei Balear de Salut de les Illes Balears (BDAC) responsible for unifying and implementing medical records on the internet and in regional Specialist and Primary Care intercommunication, from 2017 to 2020.
- Cooperating in different ophthalmology projects with the NGO “Llevant en Marxa” (Illes Balears) in Colombia and Ethiopia, since 2008.
- Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery from the University of Barcelona, 1984-1990.
- Specialist Ophthalmology Physician through MIR residency programme, 1991-1994.
- PhD in Ophthalmology, from the Ophthalmology Department of the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Alicante. Vision Science PhD Programme, 1992 – 1993.
- Clinical Management Course, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, 1998 – 2001.
- Researcher Support Initiative Course (ISI) Girona, 2003.
- Specialist physician in the Glaucoma Unit, Ophthalmology Department, Son Llàtzer University Hospital, Palma de Mallorca, Servei Balear de Salut de les Illes Balears. From 2013 to date.
- Ophthalmology Specialist (Glaucoma, Cataracts and Anterior Pole and Oculoplastics) at the Ophthalmology Unit of the Balearic Islands (Palma de Mallorca) 1994 – 2021.
- Deputy Medical Director and Director of the Surgical Area, Son Llàtzer University Hospital, Palma de Mallorca, Servei Balear de Salut de les Illes Balears. 2014- 2020.
- Department Head at Manacor Hospital belonging to Servei Balear de Salut de les Illes Balears. 1997-2013.
- Specialist physician from the Orbit, Oculoplastics and Neuro-ophthalmology Department at Son Dureta University Hospital, Palma de Mallorca, Ibsalut, Conselleria de Sanitat, Govern de les Illes Balears. 1995 -1997.
- Rotation as a Cornea and Eye Bank Fellow in Toronto General Hospital, Toronto University, Canada. 1994.
- Ophthalmology Tutor, Ophthalmology Department, Son Llàtzer University Hospital, Palma de Mallorca, Servei Balear de Salut de les Illes Balears. 2013-2016.
- Organisation and teaching of over 25 courses on the speciality, particularly in the area of Cataract surgery and Glaucoma.
Scientific and Research Activity
- 6 Clinical trials and other research projects.
- Author of 6 chapters in ophthalmology outreach books.
- Author of 20 publications in indexed national and international journals with impact factor.
- Guest speaker at over 30 meetings and courses. Especially on the subjects of glaucoma, cataract surgery and oculoplastics.
- Author of over 60 free papers at different local, regional, provincial and international congresses.
- Research Award. Modality: Award for scientific publication by interns. Hospital Son Dureta; Palma de Mallorca, 21 December 1994.
- 3rd Visual Publication Award. Modality: Surgical video on Ophthalmology, Palma de Mallorca, 29 May 1993.
- Consulting work for the Primary Care Management of la Conselleria de Salut del Govern de les Illes Balears on subjects relating to Ophthalmology.